Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stella Brite

"We are returning your manuscript because it is not suited to our present needs." Like all other writers, I'm well acquainted with that careful, bloodless sentence. You get used to it, you move on. There will be other publishers. 

"Due to declining sales, we have made the difficult decision to take your book out of print." Ah, that's the one that gets to you. You've nurtured that baby to birth, loved it, shared it with friends, family and strangers. You had hoped that it would live a good, long life.

Well, in the publishing business, six years isn't bad. 

Stella Brite and the Dark Matter Mystery has gone out of print. I'm proud of that book, quite possibly the first picture book about dark matter. 

Charlesbridge gave me the option of buying back some of the remaining books at a steep discount, so now I have a box each of hard copy and paperback versions of Stella Brite. They take up a lot of room. I'd rather they were in the hands of some curious kid (or adult) who wants to know more about this mysterious stuff called dark matter. 

So if you'd like an autographed copy of Stella Brite, let me know. I'm selling the paperbacks for $5, and the hard copies for $10, plus shipping charges. 


No comments: