Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The ideal reader

Stella Brite, bless her heart, has introduced me to some terrific and interesting people. Take Danielle, a 15 year-old girl who, along with her dad, was looking for a book about dark matter. Turns out that Danielle, an "alethiometrist/pirate/idealist" is a huge fan of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials books. So not only did she inspire a woman to make an alethiometer pocket watch, but she recently scored an interview with Laurie Frost, the author of The Elements of His Dark Materials: A Guide to Phillip Pullman's Trilogy. She asks some terrific questions, including,
It's late 2003 or so and you are pretty involved with your project. You find yourself falling asleep one night at your desk. When you wake up the next morning you look up to find Mary Malone's Cave in place of your PC and Lyra's alethiometer sitting inches away. Which one will you communicate with first? What will you ask? Why?
You don't know how much I love this level of involvement in a novel! Some of you may remember that The Golden Compass was #1 on our family's top 100 (92) books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sara,

Thank you so much for the mention of the interview between Laurie and I.

I'm happy to know that so many other people are interested in learning about science, especially through fiction. I'm quite fascinated with both myself. So many kids my age, and otherwise, haven't even scraped the surface of what's waiting to be learned. I know I haven't and I'm always looking into new stuff.

Anyway, I'll be running to the library soon for The Good, the Bad, the Slimy!

All the best,
-Danielle