Sunday, October 7, 2007

Chicago marathon

Well, it sounds as though the Chicago marathon was hellish this year. It was so hot (reaching 88 degrees) and humid that they closed the course around noon, although it sounds as though many runners kept on going anyway. Worse, it was so hot that the faster runners were using a lot more water and Gatorade than expected, leaving a couple of the early aid stations completely dry by the time the 4-4.5 hour marathoners came along. One guy died.

I think they did the right thing to close the course, but it seems to me that running out of water and Gatorade has got to be a huge black eye for the organizers. They knew it would be terribly hot and should have arranged for more fluids.

All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't run this year's marathon from hell. Instead, caraf and I ran 9 miles this morning, admired a couple of GINORMOUS pumpkins on display in a local community garden, and ate some yummy watermelon while we iced our respective sore spots afterwards. Here's to running buddies!

No comments: